22 March 2006

DAY SIX: NAPPING

There is perhaps nothing I enjoy more than napping with the wife, except maybe a full night's sleep with the wife. This afternoon I was reminded of how well we fit together [at least now that I have lost 25 pounds]. I am quite sure that is one of the big reasons why I fell in love with the wife: we simply fit. I know this may sound silly or simplistic, bit I don’t know how else to describe it. It is not simply that we are of similar size or proportion, there is something about the way we fit together that never ceases to fill me with wonder. And it is not just in one particular way. It seems that no matter which way we turn about we naturally settle into, well, fitting.

The wife and I have been together for close to fifteen years and I still find it remarkable, even down to the way our hands fit together – that is perhaps the thing I missed the most during the years in Iowa. I don’t even know if today’s nap was a particularly effective one; I slept while she read and then I tried to read while she was sleeping but the bed [a twin in the wife’s mother’s house] was not large enough to find a good way to allow me to read, so I just held on to her for a while until the foster child finally woke her up. As naps go, in an objective sense, it wasn’t terribly good at all, but it was still perfect; it fit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

This entry is really beautiful, and just right for the two of you. I have always thought this, looking at you (for going on, what, seven years), and I love that you wrote a love letter to your fitting and put it on your blog.

3/25/2006 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home