12 November 2007

A FEW THINGS FROM BUDAPEST

Well, dear reader, I am back from Budapest. You may be asking yourself at the moment: Budapest? I thought he was in E________. Well, I am, but I was in Budapest. The wife and I spent five days behind the old Iron Curtain.

There is ever so much I could say about the trip, and probably will eventually. But, for the moment, time is a wee bit tight, so I shall have to be brief. Hence, as is my wont, I shall begin with signage. Don't complain, dear reader, you should be used to it by now.

A quick note about Hungarian signage, though. While there are many similarities to what I am used to here in the Western Europe, as well as back in the States, there were some wonderful, disturbing, and subtle differences that made me very happy. For the most part I shall leave them for you to discover, but I shall pause from my currently hectic schedule to pass on a few of my favorite points.

1] I love the upside-down pointing hand.

2] One really ought not drink jug-wine on the Metro, or at least so says the sign.

3] I want the puppy that the man is carrying.

4] The subways announcement tones on the Yellow Line are perhaps my favorite thing in all of Budapest. I am pretty sure that I burst out laughing – much to the amusement of fellow passengers – every time I heard them.

5] I think all the anonymous signage people in the States ought to wear hats like the bicycling men in Budapest.

Those things mentioned, I leave you to a small selection of my favorite signs, sounds, and bits of graffiti from Budapest.


























 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Image 2 up from Super Tits:

No icecream/gasoline/cell phone/cigs/booze or litter.

OK--muzzled dog and lavatory plunger????

Love your signs!

11/19/2007 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home