08 October 2007

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS:
HIGHLANDS EDITION

1. Whisky. Note that here in Scotland there is no E in whisky. [Perhaps it is a relative of the great, debatable E somewhere in the depths of Piers Plowman.] Anyway. I have now been to the holy land; I have been surrounded by a thousand barrels of whisky; I have felt the heat emanating from the birth of whisky. I have made my pilgrimage and have returned healed. You know, a real Genesis 1:3-4 moment.


[The Maltings at Balvenie]

2. Loch Lochy. This really is a truly beautiful, right magnificent place. A real stunner, but more than that, I have to love a place called Lake-y Lake. Perhaps later I may get to visit old City-ish City in the Czech Republic, or, if I am truly lucky... well you get the point; no reason to beat the proverbial dead horse. This picture certainly does not do Loch Lochy justice, but it was taken rapidly in order to escape getting caught behind a caravan for another half-hour on the A82.


[Loch Lochy from a Lay-by]

3. Sheep. Just watch the video; I do not believe more need be said.


[A cavalcade of sheep]

4. Castles, Beaches, Stanes, Oh My. This place packs so much into so little space that it is hardly believable. As I am used to the enormous distances involved in moving about the States, I find it remarkable the extremes that occur here. One moment we are at a beach [see panoramic vista] and another we are at a ruined castle hidden within a mountain glen. Oh, and don't forget the good old Neolithic population with their proclivity for piling, stacking, and generally ordering rocks into various and sundry organizational principles – especially at the seeming ends of the world.



[Beach: Northern Highlands Version]
Mouse over to pan.


[Ardvreck Castle]


[Hill of Many Stanes]


[Where the stanes are: End of the World-like]

5. Civilization. So, the wife and I are driving through the remote reaches of the North Highlands and what do we find but a clever little bookshop in a town that seemingly had no town. Technically I guess they are in the outskirts of InverKirkaig with a population of approximately 408 within a seven-mile radius. I do not know if words can express how much I love the fact that even in a small suburb of the middle of nowhere there is still a right good bookshop. In fact Ullapool [the town we stayed at in the North Highlands] has a lovely Bar/Restaurant/Bookstore/Hotel that I recommend everyone visit.


[Achins Bookshop]

6. Speaking of Ullapool, Golf. Yes the wife and I got in a little golf on our expedition. I have fulfilled yet another fantasy; I have played in the birthplace of Golf. And not just anywhere, but at the virtual end of the universe, I mean overlooking the North Sea with mountains all around, hitting a tee shot off of a cliff onto [or in the vicinity of] the green somewhere down there. Even better I played a beautiful shot out of authentic Scottish heather [onto the green from 140 yards I might add], and even carded a par. Please refer to the spectacular views from the Ullapool course below.


[Me putting, poorly]


[The third hole in Ullapool]

7. Loch Ness, which resolutely contains no monster, none of any sort. I mean it; it is not there. Just look for yourself. Look left; look right. No monster; nothing. Do you see a monster in this loch? But just do a Google search for Loch Ness Monster Tours and you shall receive a schmorgasboard of options. Oh wait, did something just move in the loch? Oh wait, just another tire someone threw off his and/or her pier last night.



[The loch from Urquhart Castle]
Mouse over to search for the non-existent monster.

8. And, of course, signage.










 



9. Plus, as a bonus, an extra sign from our friend in C_____bridge: Motorcyclists must perform daredevil stunts over all vehicular traffic. Except buses.


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home