02 October 2007

THAT’S FASCINATING; LET’S EAT IT:
OR FRACTALS IN CHEESE SAUCE

Enter organic food store [more on this later] with the wife at my side. Look, look, look; shop, shop, shop. Stop. “Hey, that’s fascinating; let’s eat it.”

Thus begin last night’s dinner.

Let me just say that I love it here in Edinburgh; within a mere hop, skip, and proverbial jump there are such a plethora of places in which to either buy or consume delectable food-stuffs that I hardly know which way to turn. [Indeed I have found myself more than once spinning in the middle of a roundabout, eyes a-goggle.]

Which returns me, once more to last night’s dinner. [Though, at this point this blog post has been delayed by a day, so it was really the dinner of two nights ago, but that is just too much of a bother to write, so authenticity be damned, strain credulity along with me, and let us just buy into the collective myth that I am writing of last night’s dinner.]

As I was saying…

The wife and I went into the organic food store around the corner [I do not remember seeing a rabbi, a priest, or Dolly Parton, but who’s to know for sure]. We were looking for vegetables of the yummy sort when the phrase in question was uttered: “Hey, that’s fascinating; let’s eat it.”

You see, we had encountered a Cauliflower Romanesco, as seen below.



You can see why this was uttered. This is perhaps the coolest bit of produce I have ever encountered: a Mandelbrot Magnoliophyta to mint what I must image in a phrase entirely new to the English-speaking world. On the one hand I simply wanted to admire it, perhaps even adore it; build a shrine to it perhaps or preserve it in some kind of Lucite container a la Han Solo or something of that ilk. But, instead, since I am here with all these lovely food options all about I decided that the wife was indeed correct. Thus the vegetable in question was steamed and served with a lovely Isle of Mull cheese sauce [just melt a generous slab of butter; mix in a healthy (sic?) quantity of fresh cream; drop in a few medium chunks of this lovely cheese; salt and pepper to taste; melt.] Along side you will see a pair of vegetarian sausages and some roasted carrots, parsnips, and new potatoes.



Have I mentioned that I love Edinburgh?

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Gryphon said...

Have I mentioned that you're practically perfect in every way?

10/02/2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I had the same experience myself, yesterday. That's fascinating! I must eat it! Except it was a smoked bacon-milk chocolate bar. Um, not found in an organic store, I guess I don't have to say. But each square was a fractal, too!

10/02/2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

I have long believed that chocolate covered bacon was a fantastic idea, even if I am a long-time vegetarian. Huzzah for Swine a la Chocolat.

10/02/2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Though I must add that I, of course, do not advocate the consumption of animals, but if it must be done why not coated in chocolate.

10/02/2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I, on the other hand, ate nothing very adventurous yesterday.

I am watching a magpie scout for foods (exotic or otherwise) on the balconies of the flats just outside my window. I do love the magpie and am hoping that he's about to come to my balcony, even though I have no food out. (I suspect that no one else does, either, and that he's just wandering in case. He has to duck down to get under the little beamed walls at the edges of the balconies; it's very charming. Now, though, he's going away.)

10/03/2007 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home