07 May 2006

I AM NOT A MAN

I, apparently, am not a man. I have always harbored this assumption, but now – at last – I have the necessary evidence. Thanks to Burger King, that is. I had wondered, had been uncertain in the past, but now it all seems so obvious. Luckily, at last, I have a blueprint; I know what I must do to be a man.

I am pretty sure the wife has known all along, but I shall have to double check when she arrives at the airport tonight to see if she is alright with this development. Otherwise I suppose it must be cow eating, free-balling, quiche hating, and minivan tipping from now on for me. I guess I will have to learn to like cheerleaders and thrill at punching other men. “Double portion” will need to become a staple of my lexicon. God knows what else I will have to do.

Hopefully, though, the wife won’t mind that I am not a man. But then, can I still be a husband? Does this make me the wife? What happens to the wife then? Will she be the person formally know as the wife?

Damn you Burger King; look at all the perplexity you have added to my life.

But seriously, homophobia – along with it older sibling sexism and the ever-so-fashionable newborn metrophobia – continues to grow as the stalwart of advertising practice, and I find it to be not only offensive, but also to be just plain bad advertising. Contemporary advertising has become increasing reliant upon the premise of the niche – that small audience that needs to be reached in order to succeed. While the niche market has its role in commercial practice – such as those likely to buy a pair of powder-blue loafers in 2006 [i.e. me] – it is a problematic marketing approach when one is dealing with broad-audience products – i.e. things that are dissimilar to the abovementioned powder-blue loafers.

Niche marketing asks who is the primary audience for a product and then attempts to address that group at all costs. In Burger King’s ad the assumption is that men – manly men that is – eat lots of meat. Thus it attempts to make these manly-men feel good about this desire, encouraging them to throw off the shackles of the repressive regimes of women and queers – or at least the stereotypes of what these groups desire. While this commercial may in fact be effective in recruiting the intended audience, what are the ramifications of this success?

Obviously I find it problematic to utilize sexist, racist, homophobic, or any other form of derogatory speech to sell stuff, but that is what this commercial does – along with the countless others like it. It seems to me to be dangerously close to the racist advertising images of the late 19th century and early 20th century. But this is not the point of today’s writing – or at least not directly. My problem is that ads like this one are simply ill-conceived.

I do not really believe that all of these advertising people are sexist and homophobic. I would probably guess that most of them are actually rather open-minded. But these commercials are a result of the growing effect of the niche market premise. If the goal of a commercial is to speak to the niche it is targeting, then all that matters is that it does so. Collateral implications are irrelevant. Hence the assumed beliefs of the target group are adopted by the speakers whether agreed with or not, absolving the advertisers from responsibility for their speech since it is only the efficacy of the commercial that matters. The problem is that niches aren’t secure, and products are not discreet. What about the non-manly men and women who occasionally like a large slab of beef? Or the people who might come to Burger King for breakfast? Or a salad? [I suppose this happens.] What about the potential overlapping audiences that this ad may offend and turn away? In short, what about those who are not part of the niche?

Speaking is hard: especially in thirty seconds. I recognize this. But I do not think narrow spectrum discourse is the answer. Eloquence enables communication with a specific audience while not excluding others. In the case of commercial activity, marketing should find its primary audience while striving to open up new potential markets, and thus sales. The best way to do this is to speak judiciously, which is not the same as being “PC.” It is to speak without doing so at the expense of others.

But what we are currently seeing is a circular process: the niche mentality leads to further use of derogatory communication, which further engrains the niches – or divisions. Again, I assume that most of the people involved in these ads are probably decent human beings – though perhaps a little too driven by corporate desires for my taste. The problem is that we – culturally and individually – are abrogating our responsibility for what we say. I am reminded of a quotation from Martin Luther King Jr.: “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” While it is self-evident that Dr. King was a far better man than I, these words seem all too applicable to the world around me and specifically to the topic at hand.

I could go on for hours about this, but I want to leave off tonight with something a student of mine at the school in Iowa said to me. As I was haranguing this student about the inappropriate ramifications of his/her writing for a design, he/she argued in frustration: “But in the real world I won’t have to write; marketing will just give me the copy.” I replied simply: “But what happens when the copy is bad?”

I have never quite recovered from that event, and I hope I never do. I believe in words – in what they can say and what they can do. What we say shapes the world we live in: today the world has become a little bit uglier again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

I love how this vile commercial proclaims at one point, "I am man! Eat this meat!" -- thereby inadvertently undermining its own misogynistic and anxiously heterocentric project.

On the other hand, I very much appreciate the recent Burger King ad in which H.R.H. wakes up to find that a strange man (admittedly, a non-plastic one) has invaded his bed. See how much you like it, you burger bastard?

5/08/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I am reminded of why I am glad not to have cable, though that also makes me unable to speak out this eloquently against the kinds of cultural discourses you're speaking out against.

You have finally given me words to denounce accusations of "PC," for which I thank you. To speak judiciously is not to be poltically correct; it is to be thoughtful. I love that distinction.

And: my favorite niche marketing strategy, which makes no sense to me, is the placing of wedding rings in prominent, foregrounded moments in commercials that have no reason to be about married people. I kind of see the reason that ads about children's products--diapers, &c.--have prominent wedding rings in them. I don't believe that people *do* need to be married in order to be good parents, but I can at least understand the cultural principle being inculcated here. But when people's rings are shown in totally random places, then I just exclaim. It's so silly.

5/08/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Okay, wow. I just saw the ad on YouTube. What's up with the dude(?) in full-body pink spandex, holding the burger on a shovel while Strong Man pulls a dumptruck toward it? Having seen this ad, I have to say that it looks to me as though someone at Advertising HQ (or perhaps just in production) is having a joke at the expense of this shitty promotional idea.

5/13/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

The dude in the pink spandex is actually a chick, but it is still odd.

First off, she is in pink spandex holding a burger on a shovel luring an old S+M guy. Enough said.

Second, why is that at the closing moment of the commercial about purportedly extolling male empowerment [like we need that] a man enslaved to this woman, through the mediary of meat.

Semiotically this commercial is a poor pastiche, one that doesn't really care what it is doing, as long as it looks good.

5/13/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I think it might actually be an ad that doesn't care what it's doing as long as everyone looks like an ass. No one really comes off looking good in this commercial. Do you think there are people who actually do think that beef-eating manliness looks good, after they see this crap? (I hope that the answer is no, but it's honestly not a leading question I'm asking.)

5/13/2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Based on the comments that seem to be floating around in web-world, and the assumption that they tested the heck out of this ad to be running it as often as tehy are, i would have to say there are a lot of people out there who do. The macho backlash is growing far more quickly than we realize. The "traditional values" so much of the country seems to be craving seems to include "traditional" gender roles -- manliness and all.

5/14/2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

It may be attempting to tap into the self-mocking ad stance -- the "we know that you know" sort of thing -- but is, then, not doing so very well. The wink and nod are too close to reality to function in the same way as the Snickers ads where eating a Snickers leads to becoming president. I almost want to read this ad as incredibly ironic, but then I don't know how to see it as functioning as such, not to i have the necesary cues to really do so.

5/14/2006 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it a fact that men need more protein than women. Protein is key to being very muscular and if I'm not mistaken that is a key trait in masculinity. There's a whole brand of frozen food called HungryMan which caters to the same factors that are played to in this ad, is that offensive too? You call this niche marketing yet I believe this niche is the majority of sports watching, rough and tumble type of guy, you know the ones that make big sporting events the most watched events on television..

1/08/2007 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home