26 February 2006

GOBBLE GOBBLE...


I'm not even going to mention Cheney [though I suppose I just did] in this one. Today Supreme Court Justice [and all around creepy guy] Antonin Scalia gave use yet another view of the utopian world republicans apparently grew up in.

Addressing the National Wild Turkey Federation [yes it exists and is dedicated to shooting the birds not shots of the booze] Scalia said, "I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms... I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle. Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?"

Of course not. Nor would I want anyone to. It perpetually amazes me the ways the old "When I was growing up..." argument gets used. "I rode the subway with a rifle, so guns are safe." Does no one else see a rhetorical problem with this one???

While I am personally opposed to hunting [I am admitting my bias], that really has little to do with arguments for gun control [which I strongly support]. I am not going to completely rehash the arguments for stronger gun control; I just needed to express my outrage at the rhetorical ineptitude of a Supreme Court justice. We really should screen them better...

On another note... It is amazing how much better one's life can be once one goes to the grocery. I now have milk for my coffee and the world is much rosier. And soon the wife comes home [hooray] so I made her a lovely banana bread.

Mmmm... Coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home